MidLink has introduced Vertica to Israel in 2008. We still provide consulting and support to Vertica based systems. If you are interested in Vertica please email us firstname.lastname@example.org
The Internet, with the global village it has created, generated a need to store more information for longer periods of time. We are now measuring information in Exabytes which is equal to a billion Gigabytes which need to be stored and analyzed in a very short period of time (near real time).
Information systems are not really getting any faster. Hardware is constantly improving but it's not getting any cheaper to process the information we have over the high end hardware. To resolve these bottle necks there's a need for a different approach!
Vertica is the database model of the future. A High performance database running on commodity hardware is of the essence.
The solution is coming from an innovative database company based in Massachusetts and led by some of the biggest names in the database arena.
A column-oriented database that ten-folds the speed of both Oracle and SQL Server while running on commodity hardware half the price or less.
Vertica was designed to handle the demanding Business Intelligence (BI) needs:
- This column-oriented database stores data on disk as columns of values from the same attribute. When accessing only a few columns of a specific table, only those columns will be read in sequential order.
- Advanced compression is used when storing data on disk. A unique a query execution engine is able to keep data compressed while being accessed. This is very effective as column values are usually similar to each other and allow for a high level of compression (up to 90%). This compression uses more CPU resources, which are much faster and evolve at a faster rate than disk access.
- The efficient usage of storage spaces allows for storing multiple copies of the data increasing reliability and removing the access (seek time and I/O) bottleneck. The copies are stored as different views to optimize access even further.
Vertica provides a standard SQL interface to clients.
Vertica is compatible with existing ETL (like IBM/Ascential Talend BusinessObjects Pentaho Informatica GoldenGate) , reporting, and BI tools (like BusinessObjects Cognos Microsoft Microstrategy Pentaho Jaspersoft Spotfire Corda Matlab) . These make data migration to Vertica a breeze. Vrticaâ€™s sophisticated architecture allows customers to leverage commodity hardware with local disks to build store data on an inexpensive media. Reducing hardware cost while enhancing performance is the value of Vertica Â® a true DO MORE WITH LESS product.
Vertica encompasses additional features designed to provide scalability, reliability, ease of use and, of course, performance:
- First coined by Mike Stonebreaker, the shared nothing, grid-based database architecture allows Vertica to scale effectively on clusters of commodity CPUs.-High-performance insert operations are facilitated utilizing a write-optimized portion to store newly inserted records. The write optimized area permits continuous concurrent querying to enable real-time analytics.
- Automated physical database design tools that recommend how data should be organized both locally on each node in a cluster, as well as horizontally partitioned across a cluster.